We never make travel plans in the summer because Kingston is such a nice place to be in during this time of year. There's tons of things to do in the weekends, either in or around the town, but I managed to narrow it down to my five favourites. So if you're looking for some adventure inspo, you've come to the right place.
1. The beaches. I had to put this first because there's nothing that I enjoy more on a hot summer afternoon than a dip in the lake. While there' s few that you can hit right in town, my favourites are about an hour away drive, which is totally worth it if you're looking for a little getaway from...I wanna say hustle and bustle...but we all know Kingston is quiet AF.
The first sight of Dry Lake in Tweed,ON will make you feel like you landed in the Caribbean - the white clay on the bottom makes the water reflect the most beautiful shades of tropical blue while the gentle waves will rock you into the most zen state of mind possible. Floaties are mandatory.
Then comes the beautiful Rotary Beach in Wellington - Prince Edward County. A sandy peaceful oasis, right across the street from the best ice cream shop in the world (I have to stop by every time I go). While the crowds are swarming the popular Sandbanks Park, we usually head here with our beach tent, snacks and a good book.
2. Cutting my own flower bouquet at Sun Harvest Greenhouses. When I first saw people talking about this on social media I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. But honestly, it was the best $10 I ever spent. The lovely lady at the counter equipped me with a bucket and sheers and sent me off to spent the next hour in a beautiful field of flowers. Hearing the bees humm, smelling the sweet scents around me and forgetting my phone in the car might have been the best therapy I never knew I needed.
3. The Farmer's Market at Memorial Centre. Go for the fresh vegetables and produce, but more importantly for all the snacks! This weekend I couldn't decide between the steamed bbq buns and pakoras so I had them both... at the same time ... with lemonade... I'm not sorry.
4. The lavender fields in Prince Edward County. This was by far the best discovery of the summer for me. I love strolling through the lavender flowers and then kicking back on one of the comfy chairs in the fields. The fact that there's a couple of cats running around and entertaining the guests doesn't hurt either.
5. The roof-top patio at The Grocery Basket. It probably takes me half an hour to get all the way up the stairs, but there's no other place in Kingston that I prefer over this one in terms of ice tea, views and people watching.
Which are your favourite places to hang out at in your town/city. I'd love to hear all about them.
Have a brilliant day!